I recieved a cool little Advent Devotional in the mail last week. I wanted to point you in the direction of this group's website www.faithatwork.com, but they didn't have the devotional on the site. I hope they don't mind, I'll post one a week, and I'll post my answers - and if you want to respond, add a comment...
Week One - Relationship to Self
Luke 1 - "How can this be..."
Mary is suddenly "with child." As a young unmarried woman now pregnant, her self identity must have undergone a huge shift. The Advent story presents all kinds of people who are asked to see themselvse differently.
Advent is a time to reflect on changes in our lives, and how we are dealing with those changes. Like Mary, we may ask, "How can this be..." Like Mary we hope to be able to say, "Let it be according to your word."
Questions:
- How have you changed since last Advent?
- Is there something new growing inside you?
- What part of you needs the light of Advent?
Friday, December 1, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I was heard two young women sing a stellar song related their ministry. The words: Here I am a servant of the Lord, Let it be according to your world. I'm unequiped, I'm unprepared...How can it be, Oh, Lord.
How have you changed since last Advent?
Gosh, I'm married! I'm living in VA! And this is the first year of my life that I'm not a student attending classes!
Is there something new growing inside you?
Contrary to popular opinion, Jake and I are not ready to start a family quite yet... I'm not sure what's growing inside me these days. I feel like I'm growing on the outside, and growing in general...
What part of you needs the light of Advent?
The part of me that has to realize that I don't have to save the world, and I'm not in charge, and that Jesus came for a reason, and it wasn't so that I could have a job.
How have you changed since last Advent? Oh my, like kerygma I've married and moved. I was in Kansas City and now I'm in Chicago. I also changed jobs.
Is there something new growing inside of you?
It's quiet assurance that God will enable me to do what he calls me to do. I am a writer and a pastor, and I don't have to be afraid of what either of those things mean: I just need to be who I am.
What part of you needs the light of Advent?
Staying with my denomination. The general leadership of our church has not made good decisions, and there are so many things I disagree with in the way our church is headed. I need to trust God with this as well.
Post a Comment