Anyone else forced to do "SSR" in elementary school? The teacher made you choose a book; then read silently to yourself for like 30 minutes.
It was my own personal idea of heaven.
I LOVED to read. Actually, I would get in trouble at home because I would read instead of doing my chores, and I would never go to bed because I was always trying to read by the glow of the night-light in my bedroom. There never seems to be as much time as there used to be for polishing off books like I ate 3 square meals a day.
I'm catching up on a few of the good reads recommend to me over the past few years. I finished Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies in about a 24 hour time period. It was amazing... how someone can speak so clearly about her drug abuse and her prayer life in the same paragraph...
I'm also currently reading The Sense of the Call by Marva Dawn, whom I think is my new hero. And an interesting book about pastoral intergrity by Eugene Peterson, which I find to be very applicable these days...
Somedays I really feel like I'm ready for more responsiblity, more work, more burdens to bear. And somedays, I'm just thankful that I got my work done and I have time to go home, cook dinner, and read a book for 3 hours.
Friday, December 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey!
You know, I actually came across your blog, through RevGals as well, but I didn't realize that it was you until you commented on my blog! Craziness!
I hope internship is going well for you. I remember mine fondly, of course there is a year in between me and then now, so things always look better after some distance, right? When times got tough during internship it was good to remind myself that it was only for a year, and that I could do anything for a year.
Anyway, I will have to do some more reading of your blog, and catch up with what is new in the life of you (besides your obvious marriage (your new last name gave it away. I'm very observant...))
Perhaps we'll see each other at the next Gathering?
mark
I'm a voracious reader as well. I'm about to finish Anne Lamont's Bird by Bird, which if you love to write is a great book. I'm also finishing up Neil Gaiman's Ananzi's Boys. Then I have to decide what I want to read next. Decision, decisions....
Ah, yes, I relate to loving the read-to-yourself time in school. And thanks for the beer recommendation; those are always welcome!
I, too, loved SSR as well as DEAR (drop everything and read) time. I pretty much devoured every book someone gave to me and haven't stopped loving it yet. Though the time for it is much more scarce.
Dancing with God
(from lovely St. Pete)
Post a Comment