Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Reflections on Gathering in the East

After surviving DC rush hour, Baltimore rush hour, and Philly rush hour traffic all in the same night, we finally got to Bethlehem, PA. It was wonderful not to have any real responsibilities, and to catch up with some old friends. However, two things were weighing on my mind most of the weekend.

1. I no longer do "youth ministry." I do ministry. I think I have a much broader scope of ministry than most attending this event, and that is not necessarily a BAD thing, but its a different point of view. I hang out with youth group kids, and I even lead a super-cool bible study for 11th and 12th graders with Jake, but youth cannot be my only ministry priority. As a (soon-to-be)pastor I have to be concerned with all generations, and with all the stuff that happens at the church: stewardship, service, worship, Sunday School, pastoral counseling, weddings, funerals, evangelism, etc... I feel like it will always be a passion of mine, I can't afford to be 100% youth ministry anymore.

2. There was a point of view expressed by a number of friends and colleagues that we need to change to the church, or we need to abandon this old institution, or we need to be "outside the box." Nothing frustrates me more at this time in my life. I AM THE INSTITUTION. I represent the church. If a crazy hippy liberal feminist like me with conservation theological, high church leanings who loves a little accoustic guitar with her pipe organ can fit here, so can you. It's NOT a BOX. It's a community of people. And the only way this community will reflect you and who you are and what you think is important, is if you stay a part of the community.

3. We spent the whole weekend talking about "transformational _______." I've been being transformed for the past 5 years. I'm just waiting for things to finally slow down so I know which end is up and where the hell I'm going...


That is all. Just my thoughts. Oh, and people should clean up after communion so I don't end up with all the leftover communion wine...

No comments: